You walk into the room and it is full of people. As you start to scan the room for your friends, you see someone coming towards you who is known for negative comments. Before they even reach you, you start to feel upset, or like a wave of bad vibes has suddenly hit you and you are about to go down.
You know that any time spent in their presence is going to feel like hours even if it just minutes. After that, you will have no energy for anyone left in the room. Not even your friends.
You know that you have to see this person on a regular basis, so thankfully you have developed some tricks.
The above scenario can be played out at any place in your life. Work. The staff room. Meetings. Parties. A friend’s dinner party. Do you have an escape route or something that will help you?
I have worked with countless clients, yes almost all of my clients are women, but this does work for men as well who are highly sensitive people, or pick up on the vibrational frequency of others. Is this a myth?
Actually, it isn’t. But it is really hard to understand and grasp so to begin with, it is important to know that everything is energy. Science, through Quantum Physics, is showing us that everything in our universe is energy. <<< I really don’t want to break this all down like Sheldon, but here is a brief concept.
This Universal Law states that everything in the Universe moves and vibrates (everything is vibrating at one speed or another). Everything you see around you is vibrating at one frequency or another including you. This concept really blows people’s minds when they think about it…so just accept it for this article and we will move on.
In applying this theory though, I want you to think about the energy at work or somewhere you visit on a regular basis. I once changed halls at work and it was the worst thing ever for my personal body. The energy shift was palpable for me. It was living and breathing and oozing into my body. I was no longer happy. The people around me were not nice and said awful things. They literally sucked the happiness out of me. I gradually became more sick with autoimmune until I could barely function.
Ack!! Seriously. It was a nightmare. I did not know anything that would have helped me and the truth is, in this case, I had to leave the place altogether as the atmosphere was declining. But what can you do to help yourself?
7 Ways to Protect Yourself From Energy Overload:
- Start to stabilize your vibration. Give yourself an affirmation, a prayer, or repeat something like “I will not allow myself to be drained today.” You can say a prayer or use a Bible verse to help you as you prepare to mentally stabilize yourself.
- Set up your boundaries. Visualize the protective bubble of white light encircling you. Again, this can be from your higher source. So many people feel like they can’t believe in the energy and God. I am not sure why. It really is okay to talk to Him about this if that is your belief. Fill the protective bubble with love from Him or your higher source.
- Engage with a clear head. Once you are ready to interact with the source, remember that you control your thoughts, your emotions, your words. <<< see this article on what you control. Don’t let their energy control your reactions. They do want you to listen to them endlessly so you feel sorry for them. They do want to rope you into their story. They do want an audience. Their negative energy creates more drama in their lives, but they won’t change. Start to distance yourself with a few quick comments and move away.
- Solutions and helpful tips can help you get away. This part is kind of interesting because as you offer solutions and helpful tips away from the problem, you can tell if they are receptive to changing their patterns. If they never change, if they don’t act like the idea of solutions would ever work, you know the answer. As you focus on how stressful this situation is with them, it increases your stress. What you focus on you attract into your bubble. As you help them with possible solutions and helpful tips, hopefully this will tell you where they want to focus their energy. Cool huh?
- Does their opinion of you matter or can you remain neutral? So this part is hard. Do you take the other person’s personal baggage as your own and then when they are disappointed that you are no longer willing and ready to be their emotional dumpster, does it bother you or can you safely detach? <<< read later if you need to detach. Your sense of self-esteem and self-worth should not be attached to this person. Cut that visually with some scissors and move on. Value yourself enough to know you are not a pack mule destined to carry their “crap” around.
- Focus only on what you can change. If you can’t change them, oh wait, you can’t. Don’t focus on that. Manipulators of energy, energy vampires, and narcissists stay the same. Period. There is no way to “fix” them unless they want to fix themselves. It just isn’t going to happen from you. It is time to move on and that clear up great energy for you. That space will be filled by the right people. Trust me. Write out “I attract great friends who value me.”
- Build your vitality and energy back with self-care routines. After my experience at work, I was really ill. You can read my about me. Depending on how much time you have let go, and I admit I took a few years to wake up, you might need extensive self-care steps. I worked on my routines until I fine-tuned them to a series of steps. If you want self-guided workbooks and baby steps to direct you, it’s called 4 Weeks to Wellness. There are many things you can do, but I personally had to get my life back in order with fitness/movement, even small movements, nutrition, stress and balance such as giving away things I did not need to free up space for things I needed, as well as my journal therapy that I created to move forward.
My girlfriends started asking me for more help and guidance with my style of journal therapy, so I created a bonus workbook that I really love on how to move forward in 21 days!!
I have spent countless hours researching and devoting myself to being able to move forward from a place of pain and once I cleared out the negative energy around me, I truly started seeing my life change. Good luck on your journey!