Dumb ways to spend your money…
Things you want to do but shouldn’t in this economy.
- Fly to Las Vegas. Win at Keno. Suddenly think you are on fire and when approached by someone telling you that you could win $200 just for checking something out, you go. You come back in a limo with a timeshare…drinking champagne with a whole $200 more (when in fact, you are really out $17,000).
- Your friend, now your frenemy, signs you up for a Rainbow Vacuum cleaner demo. Your husband thinks it is the most awesome thing ever and promises you for the rest of your marriage, he will vacuum if you buy this robotic looking dealio that can suck dust out of the air, and basically pays for itself at $1,300 or something like that. You say okay (you probably break even as he does really vacuum because the damn thing is so heavy you can’t lift it up stairs).
- Years later, decide that the first timeshare wasn’t in the best location for family. You visit a touristy area, and they want you to look at their property. You come back with another timeshare because they convince you that this one is better and you can sell the first one. Now you are really dumb. And broke. Broke and dumb are bad. Don’t do it. Timeshares are the devil. Mama would tell you that.
- Trade in your perfectly nice car for a used car. Just because you can’t fit 2 carseats and a third person in the back. They can walk. Walking is good for them. You liked your SUV. Now you drive a mini-van. Sigh.
- Start to buy a bigger house, realize it is a dumb move, and that maybe now is not the best time to buy. Narrowly avoid making another mistake. Whew. That was close.
- Become a wine club member. Not that you don’t mind drinking the wine, but you realize that for the travel, gas money and cost, you could buy 5 more bottles. More wine equals winning.
- Say “F” it and get a new job. Not really a good idea right now as there are no new jobs. It wouldn’t be prudent to do this right now. Find a millionaire to support your dream. Good luck.
- Take all the money you were planning to save and go on your dream vacation. You can’t take it with you, right? I know there are websites with 137 ways to eat Ramen. See for yourself.
- Buy a new car because you are tired of the mini-van now. It is paid for. Drive that bad-boy into the ground. So what if you don’t have the money to fix the rear entertainment center? They can watch that one DVD that has been stuck in there for a year and they can like it. Hmpf.
- Get an estimate for a sun-room. Let’s face it, you are never going to sell this house. Might as well do what you want to it. The kids can get scholarships to college, right?
“Every man is a damn fool for at least five minutes every day; wisdom consists in not exceeding the limit.” ~Elbert Hubbard