Karma is frequently misunderstood as a “new age” buzzword. The thing is, karma has been around since the beginning of creation. Jesus even said “for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap….Every man shall receive his own reward according to his own labor.”
Dial up the good karma
- Watch your thoughts throughout the day. Are the majority of your thoughts negative? If the answer is yes, try keeping a thought journal. Start off with a positive affirmation for the day. Whenever you feel yourself slipping back into the negative, go to that affirmation and repeat it.
- Don’t blow your top…practice patience. I know that you immediately want to scream, curse, or flip off the driver who cut in front of you. But take some deep calming breaths and send them good energy…to get to the hospital on time as that’s the only possible explanation for why they cut you off…right?
- Watch your words…because they might be sour. Trust me when I say that I know how difficult it is to keep foul words to yourself when someone does something particularly nasty. But that is actually their KARMA. I know. I know. It doesn’t make it any easier, but repeat one of my favorite mantras “Not my circus, not my monkeys.” even loud enough for them to hear if you need to, but at least it will be puzzling to them. I say this all the time now where people can hear me. It’s better than other things I could say.
- Remember it’s like a math test. All the good against all the bad? Somewhat…but how about it’s a test of how you respond to these situations. Kind of like a big ole’ Hunger Games set up in your head…but hopefully less violent. May the odds be ever in your favor.
- Think with the heart, not the ego. This one is pretty dag-on difficult. When something happens, gossipy folks, backstabbing co-workers, lying leeches, or whatever come into your field of vision, put night vision goggles on. What? Yes! Pretend you can see right into the heart of matters and see their pain. Their ridiculousness and ugly words as the hurt they have not been able to let go of. They are speaking through that and trying to drag you into it because they can’t see past it. But you can, so think with the heart. Let love guide your words, not spite. That’s on them. Rise above whatever they are putting out there, because you truly can raise your karmic level.